Thursday 13 November 2014

Mountains and Google – By Shailyn Drukis


Elyse and myself just returned from the Young Professionals Pre-Congress Youth Capacity Building Workshop in the Blue Mountains. This workshop brought together 28 passionate young adults from around the world to share ideas and work towards creating the Young Peoples Pact that will be presented during the World Parks Congress. I found it very rewarding to finally get to meet many of the youth whom I have been working with during the months leading up to the congress. One of the first activities we worked on was a break out 'sticky note' session. Each youth had the opportunity to contribute text on sticky notes, expressing their opinions about what makes us happy as young conservation leaders in protected area work, what we feel the challenges and barriers are, and what we want the new generation of conservation to look like. This discussion was the initial step that has shaped our Young Peoples Pact. The Young Peoples Pact for People, Parks and Planet is a document that will contribute to the Promise of Sydney, and sets a series of protected area conservation action items that young people will commit to for the next ten years. 




To rejuvenate from the collaborative brain storming sessions, I had the opportunity to explore and learn about the areas cultural and natural history through a hiking tour. The hike began with a traditional smoke ceremony, and then my group explored a hiking trail with two of the parks rangers. The rangers pointed our all of the fascinating flora and fauna along the trail, including some of the majestic bird species, and local medicinal plants for us to try. At one point I saw the distinct web of the funnel web spider, which was quite terrifying, as it is apparently the worlds most venomous spider! I survived :) Our hiked weaved throughout beautiful waterfalls and unique geomorphic features, which was quite a new landscape for me. The hike was a very important opportunity for me to connect to the local landscape and help me clear our mind after our lengthy international dialogues and debates. 







Ending off the workshop, our Young Professionals crew got to travel to the Google Headquarters in Sydney, to tour around their building and learn about some of the innovative ways they are keeping their employees happy (free cafes, games rooms, a room for staff napping!). We had a fun interactive workshop with one of the staff, which showed us how to use some of their free mapping tools for our own networks and projects. We learnt about  'my maps', 'tour builder', 'open data kit', and 'photo spheres'. I really enjoyed working with 'my maps', and just used this tool to map out the countries where our youth memberships come from for the 
Global Youth Biodiversity Network (a network I helped to establish). 







The World Park Congress is now in full swing, and I am filling my every waking hour with sessions, meetings, networking dinners and social media. 





No comments:

Post a Comment